This section gives information about antidepressants. Antidepressants can help with different mental health problems including low mood, depression and anxiety.
- Antidepressant medications are a type of medication used to treat depression and other mood disorders.
- There are different types of antidepressants and you may need to try different ones before finding one that works for you.
- You may get side effects from this medication. If you get side effects that cause you problems, you should talk to your doctor.
- You may get withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking antidepressant medication. You should talk to your doctor before you stop taking them. Your doctor may take you off your medication slowly if you have been taking them for a long time.
- Antidepressant medication can affect other medications. You should tell your doctor if you take any other medication.
This section covers:
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in November 2014. Next review November 2016.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4pm, not including bank holidays