This section gives information about antidepressants. Antidepressants can help with different mental health problems, including low mood, depression, and anxiety.
- Antidepressant medications are used to treat depression and other mood disorders.
- There are different types of antidepressants. You may need to try different ones before finding one that works for you.
- You may get side effects from antidepressants. Talk to your doctor if you get side effects that cause you problems.
- You may get withdrawal symptoms when you stop taking antidepressant medication. Talk to your doctor before you stop taking them. Your doctor may take you off your medication slowly if you have been taking them for a long time.
- Antidepressant medication can affect other medications. Tell your doctor if you take any other medication.
This section covers:
- What are antidepressants?
- Are there different types of antidepressants?
- Are there any side effects?
- What if I want to stop taking antidepressants?
- Do antidepressants affect other medication?
- Does alcohol affect my antidepressants?
- Can I drive when taking antidepressants?
- What else should I consider when before taking antidepressants?
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in July 2018. Next review November 2019.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4pm, not including bank holidays