If you feel that you cannot cope with the pressures you are under, you might be stressed. This section explains the common symptoms and causes of stress. It also looks at some of the ways you can try to reduce stress.
- Most people feel stressed sometimes.
- Some stress can be helpful. Too much stress may make you ill.
- Stress affects everyone differently, but there are common things you can look out for.
- There are many different causes of stress. Although stress is not an illness itself, it can make you unwell if it is very bad or if it lasts a long time.
- You might not be able to avoid stress but there are things you can do to manage it.
This section covers:
- What is stress?
- What are the signs of stress?
- What causes stress?
- Are stress and mental illness linked?
- How can I help myself?
- Can my doctor help?
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in February 2016. Next review February 2019.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4pm, not including bank holidays