Prisoners - Suicidal thoughts
Being in prison can be a difficult time. This section explains how you can get help if you feel like you want to end your life.
- Just try to get through today. Try not to focus on the future.
- Talk about your feelings with someone you trust.
- Speak to a healthcare professional at the prison.
- Do things you enjoy, such as drawing and writing in your cell, exercise or education.
- Raise the alarm in your cell if you want to hurt yourself or end your life now.
This section covers:
- How can I help myself now?
- How can I get help and support?
- Making a crisis plan in prison
- Carers, friends and relatives
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice and Information Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in April 2017. Next review April 2020.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4pm, not including bank holidays