Prison - Planning for Release
Leaving prison can be an exciting time. It can also be scary. You might not know what to expect or how to deal with the challenges you may face. This section looks at how you can plan for release from prison and who might be able to help.
- You can do things to prepare for release from prison, such as thinking about housing, benefits and who can help you in the community. It is never too early to think about it.
- You may worry about how you will get help for your mental health. The prison should refer you to community mental health services if they feel you need more support. You need to give them permission to do this.
- How and when you are released will depend on the type of sentence you are serving.
- It is important to remember that there are lots of people and organisations in the prison and community who can help you.
Some information in this section is quite complicated. An explanation of some of the phrases and words that we use are given below:
- The National Probation Service (NPS): The NPS is a statutory criminal justice service. They supervise high risk offenders who have been released into the community.
- Community Rehabilitation Companies (CRC’s): CRC’s are private sector companies. They supervise medium and low risk offenders who have been released into the community. They are also responsible for providing resettlement services in prison and the community.
- Offender Management Unit (OMU): The OMU is a team in prison. They are responsible for making sure that you get through your sentence plan.
- Offender Supervisors: Offender supervisors work in the OMU. They are prison officers who have had special training. They work with you to achieve the objectives on your sentence plan.
- Probation Officers: Probation officers supervise you when you are released into the community. They can work for either the NPS or CRC.
This section covers:
- What is ‘resettlement’?
- How do I get help for my mental health?
- How and when do I get released from prison?
- How can I plan for my release?
- Who can help me plan for release?
- What happens when I leave prison?
- What is MAPPA (Multi-Agency Public Protection Arrangements) and does it apply to me?
- Useful Contacts
These pages are created by the Rethink Mental Illness Advice Service. Last reviewed in June 2015. Next review June 2017.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4pm, not including bank holidays