Options for dealing with your debt - Write off request sample letter
Write off request sample letter
Account / card / loan reference number
Dear Sir / madam
I am writing about the above account to which I currently owe XXX (insert debt amount here).
I am sending a copy of a recent personal budget sheet which shows that I am unable to offer any payments. I am also sending information from XXX (insert name and profession of the health or social care professional who has provided evidence) about my mental illness and how this affects my ability to manage my finances.
Unfortunately, my financial circumstances are unlikely to change due to my health issues. I am unable to make any offer of repayment towards my debt, so I am asking that you kindly consider writing this debt off or marking it as uncollectable, depending on your internal policy.
When considering my request I would also like you to take into account the following information XXX (insert information about your mental health condition) –
Useful information may include:
- how long you have been unwell
- what your mental health was like when you took out the agreement
- recent changes of circumstances that have affected your ability to repay (for example, having less money coming in, working fewer hours or leaving your job, becoming unwell recently)
- how your debts affect your mental health
- details of any recent hospital stays.
If you decide it is not appropriate to write this debt off, I would like you to explain in writing how you have come to this decision.