Employment Support Allowance - Claiming
How can I claim?
You can telephone Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 6688 to start your claim. An adviser will ask you for the following information, and some other more detailed questions.
- Name, address, date of birth and telephone numbers
- National insurance number
- Mortgage or landlord details
- Council tax details
- Brief explanation of your illness or disability
- Name, address and telephone number of your GP
- Details of other benefits you claim
- Details of any work you have done
- Bank account details
You will need a ‘fit note’ from your GP to start your claim.
If you do not want to claim by phone, you can ask the DWP to send you a claim form. This is called an ‘ESA1’ form. Or you can get a copy online and take it to your nearest Jobcentre Plus office. You can download the form here.
If you need help then a carer, friend or relative could call the DWP or fill in the form for you. You will need to be with them when they make the calls so you can give them permission to speak for you.
In some areas you cannot claim income-related ESA. You have to claim Universal Credit instead. You can find out more about these topics by lciking on them:
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4pm, not including bank holidays