Lived Experience Advisory Board Member
Role Title: Lived Experience Advisory Board Member
Location: 4 meetings in London per year, plus time limited working groups held more locally
Payment / Expenses: Reasonable travel and subsistence expenses will be paid
Closing date: N/A
If you have experience on mental illness then you can help shape our campaigns, policy and communications. You will need to travel to London four times a year and attend some local working groups as needed.
About the role and tasks
About the Role:
The LEAB provides a distinct and strong voice for those with personal lived experience of mental illness and will:
- Provide a forum for those with personal lived experience of mental illness to work in collaboration with the charity and promote the interests of those with personal lived experience of mental illness in all activities of the charity.
- Act as a development board for involvement within Rethink Mental Illness and to oversee the implementation of the Involvement Strategy.
- Hold the charity to account regarding issues affecting those with personal lived experience of mental illness and be a driving force for new developments within the charity which meets their needs and others.
- To contribute to our Transformation Plan.
- Attend four meetings a year in London
- Be responsive to our communications and prepare for all meetings by reading the meeting papers
- Be able to communicate and participate fully in a minimum of two working groups per year (these groups may not require face-to-face meetings)
- Maintain confidentiality and comply with Rethink Mental Health policies and procedures
- Raise any issues using the appropriate channels
Who should apply for this role?
We are looking for individuals who have a lived experience of mental illness and any of the following:
- Group coordinator / active groups member
- User of Rethink services
- Involved in campaigning, fundraising, media work, research, and co-production
- Peer support
- The severe impact of mental illness
- Physical disability
- Being an inpatient
- The Criminal Justice System
- Secure Care
- Dual Diagnosis
- Coming from a BAME or seldom heard from community
- Being a young person 18 – 25
- Being a Rethink Staff Member / Volunteer
All Lived Experience Advisory Board members are expected to be or become members of Rethink Mental Illness.
How many roles are there?
LEAB currently has capacity to involve up to 16 members.
Downloads for this role.
Next steps and closing date.
A completed application forms can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or posted to:
Rethink Mental Illness, Involvement Team, Paul’s House,
Tower Street, Taunton, Somerset TA1 4BH
All applications will be considered by an Appointments committee who are Service User Trustees or Lived Experience Advisory Board members. Consideration will be given to ensuring the Lived Experience Advisory Board members have a wide range of skills, interests and knowledge and reflects the diversity of those involved with the charity.
If you have any questions on any aspect of the role or you need help to complete the application form, please call the Involvement Team on 01823 365315
Other ways you can get involved
Fundraise for us
Because of our incredible supporters, who fundraise on our behalf and give generous gifts, we can support tens of thousands of people every year. Thank you to everyone who makes our vital work possible.
Learn more Fundraise for us
Volunteer with us
Our wonderful volunteers support our work in many different ways – from backing our campaigns, to reviewing our expert information, to shaping our work as a regional committee member.
Learn more Volunteer with us
Become a member
As well as receiving lots of membership benefits, our members have an important say on how our charity is run, including voting at our AGM.
Find out more Become a member