This section gives information on anxiety disorders. How they are diagnosed, possible causes and ways to get treatment. It can help carers, friends or relatives of someone with an anxiety disorder.
- Anxiety can make you feel worried or scared.
- Anxiety can cause physical symptoms such as a fast heartbeat or sweating.
- It is a normal human response to be anxious in certain situations. You may have an anxiety disorder if you feel anxious all or most of the time.
- You can recover from anxiety disorders. Treatment and support is available for you.
- Your doctor can offer you treatment. What you are given will depend on your symptoms and how severe they are.
This section covers:
- What are anxiety disorders?
- What are the different types of anxiety disorder?
- What causes anxiety disorders?
- How are anxiety disorders treated?
- How can I ask for help and treatment?
- What can I do to help myself?
- What if I am not happy with my treatment?
- Information for carers, friends and relatives
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in August 2017. Next review August 2020.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4pm, not including bank holidays