Supporting someone with a mental illness - Suicidal feelings
How do I help someone who is suicidal?
If the person you are supporting is feeling suicidal you can try some of the following things:
- Ask them about how they are feeling and listen
- Ask how you can help
- Take note of any plans they might have
- Be understanding of their situation
- Ask them about things that are stopping them from acting on suicidal thoughts. You might be able to find some positive things for them to focus on
- Make a plan of how they can keep safe
- Call 999 and ask for an ambulance or take them to the accident and emergency department (A&E) if you are very worried or they have tried to take their own life
You can click on the following topics to find out more about them:
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4pm, not including bank holidays