Does mental illness run in families?
Sometimes there are a few people in a family who have the same mental illness. Other times only one person in the family has a mental illness. This section looks at mental illness in families.
- Some research suggests that mental illness can run in families.
- We do not fully understand what causes mental illness or why it can be passed on in family members.
- Mental illness may be passed on because of different reasons not just genes. Even though mental illness may run in families, it doesn’t mean that you or a family member is going to become unwell.
- There are things you can do to look after our mental health if you are worried about mental illness in your family.
This section covers:
- Will mental illness run in my family?
- What causes mental illness to run in families?
- What should I consider if I want to start a family?
- What can I do to reduce my risk of developing a mental illness?
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice and Information Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in October 2015. Next review October 2017.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 9.30am - 4pm, not including bank holidays