Insurance and mental illness
This page explains your rights when buying insurance. It also offers an overview of the main types of insurance available, and the rules about mental illness.
- You may find that standard insurance policies will not cover you if you have a mental illness. You might have to buy a more expensive policy to get the cover you need.
- It is illegal for an insurer to refuse to give you insurance cover because of your mental health. Unless they can give evidence that you are more likely to make a claim.
- You could make a complaint to the insurance company if you feel you have been discriminated against because of your mental illness.
- You could take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service and the Equality and Human Rights Commission,
- You may be able to take legal action against the insurance company.
- Some insurance companies will give you insurance cover even if you have a pre-existing medical condition.