Social Care - Direct Payments

You may need support from social services if you have a mental illness or care for someone with a mental illness. Social services can give you money to pay for services that you need. This money is called ‘direct payments.’ This page explains who can get direct payments and what you can use them for. Your local authority has to follow The Care Act 2014.


  • Your local authority can give you money to pay for the services you need. This money is called direct payments.
  • You can get direct payments to pay for your care and support if your local authority assess that you have eligible care needs
  • Eligible care needs means that the law says that you need support with certain things.
  • Carers can get direct payments to meet the needs they have in their caring role.
  • You can spend direct payments on any service, equipment or activities. As long as it meets your assessed eligible needs.
  • Your carer, friend, or local support service can help you to manage your direct payments.
  • You may have to pay for some or all of your care and support. This will depend on your financial circumstances.



Our website uses cookies

Find out more in our privacy policy and cookies policy