Social care - Charging for non-residential services

If you need social care services, the local authority may ask you to pay towards the cost. This factsheet looks at when social services may charge you for non-residential care services you get in the community.



  • The local authority may charge you for some non-residential social care services.
  • The actual charges are different around the country. This page gives an overview of how local authorities decide whether to charge you.
  • You may get free aftercare services if you are under section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983.
  • A carer may or may not be charged for social care services.
  • If you are not happy with the amount your local authority is charging, then you should ask for a review of your circumstances.

We know that money and mental health problems often go hand in hand. That’s why Rethink Mental Illness, as part of Mental Health UK, have set up a new website. It will help you understand, manage and improve your mental and financial health. You can find a wide range of information to help you with your benefits.


Visit the Mental Health & Money Advice site now 

We care about your privacy
This website uses cookies to give you the best experience.
Read our updated privacy policy and cookies policy