Benefits for carers
The time you spend caring for someone can make it difficult to earn enough money. You may have extra costs because of your caring role. This page sets out the benefits and discounts that you can get if you are a carer. This page could be useful to you even if you do not think you are a carer as there may still be some benefits you can claim.
- A benefits adviser can help make sure you get the right benefits.
- If you spend more than 35 hours a week caring for someone who gets disability benefits, you can claim Carer’s Allowance.
- You might get more benefits if you qualify for Carer’s Allowance.
- Carers can get an extra amount included in their Universal Credit.
- Some carers can get their council tax bill reduced.
We know that money and mental health problems often go hand in hand. That’s why Rethink Mental Illness, as part of Mental Health UK, have set up a new website. It will help you understand, manage and improve your mental and financial health. You can find a wide range of information to help you with your benefits.