- Around one in 10 of us hear voices that aren't there.
- Hearing voices can be positive and inspiring.
- Sometimes they can be negative and disturbing.
- Research shows that hearing voices is not always a sign of mental illness.
- Different treatments for distressing voices include medication and talking therapies.
- You might find that there are different ways of coping with your voices including meeting other voice hearers.
These sections cover:
- What is it like to hear voices?
- Why do I hear voices?
- Should I get help if I hear voices?
- How can I cope with hearing voices?
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in December 2013. Next review December 2015.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 10am - 2pm, not including bank holidays