Schizoaffective disorder is a mental illness that affects your moods and thoughts. This section provides information on the condition and possible causes and treatments. This guide is written for people with the diagnosis as well as their carers and friends.
- Schizoaffective disorder is an illness which has similarities to schizophrenia and bipolar disorder
- It involves a combination of the symptoms of schizophrenia and mood symptoms such as mania and/or depression.
- It affects about 1 in 200 people
- It is treated using medications and/or therapy
- No-one can pinpoint exactly what causes the condition. The risk of you developing the illness depends on lots of things such as your genes, your circumstances and stress.
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice and Information Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in April 2013. Next review April 2015.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 10am - 2pm, not including bank holidays