Schizoaffective disorder is a mental illness that affects your moods and thoughts. This section explains the condition, possible causes and treatments. This guide is for people with the diagnosis as well as their carers and friends.
- Schizoaffective disorder has some symptoms of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder
- Your symptoms can be mania, psychosis and depression.
- Your genes, circumstances and stress may all play a role in developing schizoaffective disorder.
- There are different treatments for schizoaffective disorder.
- Your mental health team should offer you medication, talking therapies and a self-management programme.
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice and Information Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in April 2015. Next review April 2018.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 10am - 2pm, not including bank holidays