These pages cover what personality disorders are, what the symptoms are and how you can get treatment. You might find them useful if you have a personality disorder yourself, or if you care for someone who does.
- A personality disorder can affect how you cope with life, manage relationships and feel emotionally.
- There are a number of different types of personality disorders.
- There is no single cause of personality disorder. It is likely to be a combination of reasons, including genetic and environmental causes.
- Talking therapies are recommended as treatment for personality disorders.
- It is possible to have a personality disorder alongside other mental health problems such as anxiety and depression.
These pages are created by Rethink Mental Illness' Advice Service in accordance with the Information Standard. Last reviewed in October 2014. Next review October 2016.
Need practical advice & info? We can help.
Contact our Advice team about mental health & related issues
0300 5000 927 Monday - Friday 10am - 2pm, not including bank holidays